Tuesday 12 November 2013

MUA Luxe: Velvet Lips

So you all know I've been away from the blogging world for a while due to having no laptop. I had a free evening yesterday and so I spent hours and hours looking at all my favourite beauty blogs to see what I'd missed, imagine my excitement when I came across MUAs new range, the Luxe collection. Now as pretty as all the glitter palettes looked glitter just really isn't my thing unless it comes in the form of a nail polish. My main excitement was their Velvet Lips products.

I've been wanting to try Lime Crimes Velvetines for a while but because I wasn't sure if that kind of product would work for me I just didn't want to spend that much. So when I saw Velvet Lips my heart skipped a beat, £3 each! Even if I never wear them other than to show you in this post £3 is a massive bargain especially when you combine that with Superdrugs current 3 for 2 offer. I picked up three shades today for just £6, I would have had the other shade but it was sold out. I managed to get my hands on Kooky, Funk and Atomic.

 
 
First of all the packaging on these is lovely! Usually MUA packaging is the most basic of basic and being so cheap it's not really something I'd ever critique them for but these little tubes are so much better than anything they've done before. I find the outer cardboard casing a little pointless but it does add to the "Luxe" feel. The tubes are just simple frosted glass with black lid and gold writing, making it look and feel so much more expensive than the £3 these actually are.
 
Now onto the product itself. The first shade I wanted to try was Kooky, it's a blue based deep purple colour. I've been wanting to try a purple for so long and this didn't disappoint. I found it quite difficult to apply evenly but I'm hoping this was down to my inexperience with velvet lip products and also due to my lack of lip prep. The shade was exactly what I was looking for and surprisingly wasn't at all drying. In the pictures you'll see that it's a little patchy but don't let it put you off, I was so excited to try that my prep consisted of a slick of lip balm then straight on. With more time and a liner I think it would be fine.
 

Without flash:

 
 
With flash:
 
 
 
Next shade is Funk, a bright pink. Easiest application out of the three, found this one much easier to apply evenly (although as seen by my pictures, needs a liner). It's a nice, bright shade but was probably my least favourite of the three. That's simply down to personal preference though, I'm not a fan of bright pinks on me and there just wasn't anything that wow-ed me about this shade. That's just me though, if you're a fan of brighter pinks I'd definitely recommend this as it's got serious staying power and isn't drying. Also when it comes to "drugstore" products I don't think there's many matte pinks around so it's definitely worth a go if that's what you're looking for.
 
 
Without flash:
 
 
With flash:
 
 
 
Finally we have Atomic. Wasn't sure what this shade was going to be like when I saw it in the packaging so I got a bit of a shock when I pulled the applicator out of the tube. It looks very, very bright! That's not a bad thing to me though I love bold and bright lipsticks! It's an orange/red colour, probably more orange than red in person but I'm not sure that my pictures fully picked this up. I absolutely love this colour! Same application problem as the first colour in that I found it hard to get even coverage but with a little more time I'm pretty sure it'll apply just fine. Also a side note for any light eyed girls (blue or green), this will seriously bring out the colour in your eyes! I have very very pale green/blue eyes and this really made them stand out.
 
 
Without flash:
 
 
 
With flash:
 
 
 
Overall I'm really impressed with these, obviously you need to make sure your lips are free of dry skin and as you can probably tell from these pictures liner is essential but they're more than worth the £3 you pay. If you like the look of these I'd suggest getting down to Superdrug while you can, firstly because they're selling out very quickly and secondly you may as well do it while the 3 for 2 offer is still on.
 
Has anyone else tried these?


 






4 comments:

  1. I haven't been completely impressed with some of the MUA lip products since they seem to dry in a funny way on your lips but this seems interesting and will definitely give the MUA lip products another go :o). Xx

    http://makeupbycandlelight.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are actually the first lip products from MUA that I've tried. Definitely impressed, I just need to practice a bit more as the application is a little trickier than the lipsticks I'm used to.

      Lisa x

      Delete
  2. These look so good, I can't wait to try them out! The purple looks great on you x

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look lovely...I tried one on my hand before but wasn't too sure. On your lips though they look lush. :) www.bloglovin.com/adayinthelifeofmissverityprice would be grateful for a follow ...thanks xx

    ReplyDelete

I read every single comment and do my best to reply. Please leave your link if you comment, I visit the blogs of every single commenter so leaving the link just makes my life easier :) x